Brainstorm your idea
You can donate funds from:
- Birthday parties and other lifecycle events
- “athons” (run, walk, hike, marathon, etc.)
- Bake sales and jelly bean guesses
- Art sales
- Pub nights
- School/group fundraisers
- Whatever you imagine!
Set up your CanadaHelps website (or collect cash and cheques)
A CanadaHelps fundraising website accepts credit card donations so you don’t have to worry about collecting any other forms.
- Set up your fundraiser here.
- Set David Suzuki Foundation as your charity.
- Include “David Suzuki Foundation” and your name or organization in your fundraiser title, e.g., “Jane Smith’s 10K Run for the David Suzuki Foundation”
- Donate to yourself first before you ask people to contribute. Your supporters will see others have donated when they visit your page.
- Once your fundraiser is complete, please let us know: email@example.com. (CanadaHelps does not notify us.)
- If you do not wish to create a CanadaHelps website, you can also collect cash and cheques.
Spread the word
- Ask yourself: Why are you fundraising for us? Your story will inspire donors.
- Use social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.).
- Email potential donors. Personalize your story as much as possible. Include direct links for donating.
- Promote your event with posters, school announcements and advertisements.
- Repeat your message. People may not donate the first time they hear about what you’re doing. (Many will appreciate your reminder.)
- Edit your email lists as you go. Avoid soliciting funds from people who’ve already donated.
- If you hit your financial goal, increase it!
- Give donors an incentive e.g., “I’m only $200 away from my $1,000 goal! Will you help?”
Host your event
- Make a list of all the things you’ll need in advance.
- Make sure you’re set up to receive donations.
- Print out donation collection forms for your event if donors need tax receipts.
- After you event is over, let everyone know how it went! Sometimes interested donors forget. They’ll appreciate the reminder.
Submit funds collected (if not using CanadaHelps)
- Collect cash, cheques (payable to the David Suzuki Foundation) and forms.
- Please do not send cash in the mail. Tally the cash and either submit a cheque payable to the David Suzuki Foundation for the total or submit a donation for the entire amount by credit card using the donation collection-form.
Important: On the memo line of the donation form, note that this donation is a collection of cash from several people.
- Put all donations and forms together in an envelope. Include a note with your fundraiser details. Mail to:
David Suzuki Foundation
Attention: Community giving
219-2211 West 4th Avenue
Vancouver, B.C. V6K 4S2
Thank your donors
- Respond to donations as soon as possible.
- Make your messages personal.
Raising money is challenging and rewarding. Be proud of what you’ve accomplished! Let us know your event is complete: firstname.lastname@example.org.