Write a letter to the editor to help protect others from misinformation
The oil and gas industry is spending millions of dollars to mislead the public. The truth they are hiding is that “natural” gas (as they love to call it) is a huge contributor to destructive climate change.
They have deep pockets for endless ad buys. Their misinformation muddles the very clear science.
This is where you can help! Research has shown that people’s opinions are more likely to be influenced by their peers and community members than by experts, so writing a letter to the editor letter can have a real impact in setting the record straight on the destructive climate impacts of the oil and gas industry.
Here are some suggested speaking points for your letter:
Mix and match or write your own completely, but remember that this is going to the editors of local media outlets, not to politicians directly.
- Introduce yourself (i.e., I’m a mother, student, Indigenous person, engineer, scientist, new Canadian, etc.).
- The oil and gas industry is lying about the climate impacts of “natural gas,” more than 90 per cent of which is produced by fracking in northeastern B.C. Whether it is burned here or ultimately exported to Asia in the form of LNG, it is a fossil fuel driving the climate emergency.
- The world’s leading climate scientists and the world’s leading energy market experts have said, repeatedly, that we cannot build any more fossil fuel infrastructure anywhere in the world if we want to have a livable planet.
- An extraordinary number of jobs can be created by the shift to a clean economy. We can’t afford to miss this opportunity.
- Wind and solar are the cheapest forms of electricity in history and we have all the clean energy necessary to reliably and affordably power our lives and economy.
- All along the fracked gas supply chain, methane leaks occur. Methane is 80 times more potent than CO2 over a short time, and its climate impact is devastating.
- The oil and gas industry is lying to us about the climate impacts of methane gas to protect its obscene profits above all else. Industry is making over $3 billion a day in profit globally.
- No matter how much greenwashing fossil fuel companies do, “natural” gas and LNG are derived from fracking and fuel climate chaos.
- The B.C. government has the opportunity to stop expanding this industry so we can benefit from the transition to a clean economy. Government should do the right thing for British Columbia and the planet.
Your name, email and postal code will be included automatically at the end of your message. Do not write in this information at the bottom of your message.