The climate crisis won’t wait. Call on all federal parties to cooperate on climate action
Top climate scientists issued a “code red for humanity” warning that this is our last chance to implement the transformational changes necessary to keep warming below 1.5 C and avoid the most dangerous impacts of climate chaos.
Canada’s climate targets are still critically insufficient. We are the only G7 country whose emissions have increased since the Paris Agreement was signed.
Canada must act with urgency and ambition. Specifically, we need the federal government to:
- Set an emissions reduction target of at least 60 per cent below 2005 levels by 2030 to be equitable and in line with climate science.
- Implement an ambitious and achievable plan to meet that target, based on intergenerational justice for Indigenous Peoples, workers and communities.
- Phase out all subsidies and public financing, and set an absolute cap on emissions from the oil and gas sector – Canada’s largest and fastest-growing source of carbon emissions – while committing to a clear timeline for a phase-out of all fossil fuel production in Canada.
- Introduce “just transition” legislation to support workers and communities in the necessary shift away from fossil fuels.
- Uphold Indigenous rights and title and implement the Truth and Reconciliation Commission’s calls to action and UNDRIP.
Bold climate action is possible when we work together. Send your message now.