We, the undersigned, are concerned about the future of southern Ontario’s Greenbelt.
This magnificent web of forests, rivers and farms is more important than ever as we work to tackle the climate emergency, protect local food producers and preserve recreational opportunities.
We are concerned, in particular, about the threat posed by Highway 413.
A recent EKOS poll found 76 per cent of Ontarians believe the Greenbelt is no place for a new four-to-six lane highway.
This highway would slice through the Greenbelt, destroying nearly six kilometres of forest and 75 wetlands. It would pave 2,000 acres of farmland.
Congestion will not be solved by new highways that incentivize additional traffic. Rather, we need expansion of public transit — including GO trains, electric buses and light rail — and better use of Highway 407.
The $6 to $10 billion required to build 413 should be spent on pressing community needs, not an expressway that deepens the climate crisis and paves our Greenbelt.
- Margaret Atwood
- Mike Brigham, President, SolarShare
- David Crombie
- Dr. Eileen Cheung, MD
- Robert Davies, Principal, Montgomery Sisam Architects Inc.
- John Di Nino, President, Amalgamated Transit Union Canada
- Richard Florida
- Dr. Samantha Green, family physician and Assistant Professor, University of Toronto
- Ken Greenberg CM, Principal, Greenberg Consultants Inc.
- Dr. Doris Grinspun, CEO, Registered Nurses’ Association of Ontario
- Toby Heaps, Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, Corporate Knights
- Sandy Houston, President and CEO, Metcalf Foundation
- Brian Iler, Partner, Iler Campbell LLP
- Ron James, Award Winning Comedian, Actor and Best-Selling Author
- Chantal Kreviazuk
- Dr. Kevin Lam, MD
- Dr. Sarah Levitt, MD
- Krista Long, Executive Director, National Farmers Union – Ontario
- John Paul Morgan, President & Chief Technology Officer, Morgan Solar Inc.
- Dr. Eileen Nicolle, MD
- Kim Perrotta, Executive Director, Canadian Health Association for Sustainability & Equity
- Gavin Pitchford, CEO, Delta Management Group Inc and Executive Director, Canada’s Clean50
- Tom Rand, Managing Partner (ArcTern Ventures), Author
- John Ruffolo, Founder & Managing Partner, Maverix Private Equity
- Dr. Peter Sakuls, MD
- John Sewell, Former Mayor, City of Toronto
- Sheena Sharp, President, Coolearth Architecture Inc.
- Brenda Sisnett, President, Georgetown Terminal Warehouses
- Pegeen Walsh, Executive Director, Ontario Public Health Association
- Jonathan Westeinde, CEO, Windmill Development Group
- Tom Worrall, Former Business Executive
– 30 –
For more information or a media interview, please contact:
Stefanie Carmichael, firstname.lastname@example.org, 437-221-4692