Sign up for Queen of Green email tips!
But if you do need to use a dryer, consider using wool dryer balls to shrink drying time. Each ball weighs about two ounces. Use three at a time to absorb moisture, rotate clothes and provide better air circulation.
Jennifer from ULAT Pure Wool Dryer Balls tells us why using these woolly helpers can make a difference.
Why use wool dryer balls?
- Depending on the make and model of your dryer, they decrease drying time by 30 to 50 per cent, saving energy and money
- Decreased wrinkles = less time ironing!
- No static
- Safe for people with sensitive skin (works well with cloth diapers)
How to use wool dryer balls
- Best for natural fibers, like cotton (not acrylics or polyester blends)
- Use all three at once to ensure balance, consistency, and efficiency
- They’ll pill—it means they’re working
- To scent clothes, add a few drops of an essential oil to each
- Store them in a well-ventilated area (never in plastic)
Do wool dryer balls work in all types of dryers?
Yes. But the size of the laundry load, model, and make of machine will determine the degree of efficiency. A newer machine will have better efficiency performance overall. But you can reduce drying time by 30 per cent even with an older dryer model.
Where can wool dryer balls be purchased?
ULATs pure wool dryer balls are handmade in Vancouver by Jennifer and her husband with 100 per cent Canadian Merino wool from an Alberta sheep co-op. Other brands are also available from a number of retailers across Canada.