About the Toronto Beaches Butterflyway
After being recruited in March 2018, the Beaches Butterflyway Rangers planted more than 40 pollinator patches in schoolyards, yards and parks. This included establishing four canoe gardens and butterfly gardens at several schools and daycares, plus more than 30 pollinator patches created by Beach Garden Society members.
The Rangers attended and hosted events, plant sales and art shows during the summer and connected with local groups like the Toronto 188th Girl Guides, Beach Garden Society and WoodGreen Community Services. Due to overwhelming interest in the project, Coun. Mary Margaret McMahon hosted a second Ranger training session during the summer.
In July, the Beaches Rangers had surpassed their target of establishing a dozen pollinator plantings to officially receive Canada’s first neighbourhood butterflyway designation.
In September 2018, the Beaches Rangers hosted a Pollinator Parade along the Beaches boardwalk, featuring a local New Orleans jazz group and costumes from Clay and Paper Theatre and Botanicus Arts Ensemble. The musical parade was followed by a festival in Kew Gardens Park, which included bee and butterfly crafts, a documentary screening, live music and food and drinks from local vendors.
Special thanks to the many partners who helped the Rangers host events and get plants into the ground, including Ed’s Real Scoop Leslieville, Thomas Neil Real Estate, DeClute Real Estate and The Richards Group, Beau’s All Natural Brewing and Southbrook Vineyards.
The full list of Toronto Beaches Butterflyway pollinator patches can be found below and in our interactive map.
- Adam Beck Junior Public School
- Beach Hill street tree pollinator patches
- Beaches Library pollinator patch
- Beaches Recreation Centre pollinator patch
- Bruce PS / Woodgreen ELC pollinator patch
- Enderby Child Care / Woodgreen ELC patch
- Girl Guide pollinator patch at 1939 Queen
- Ivan Forrest Gardens canoe garden
- Kew Park Montessori School pollinator patch
- Leslieville Jr PS pollinator patch
- Leuty Beach Boathouse pollinator patch
- Main Street Library pollinator patch
- Morse Street Jr PS pollinator patch
- Norway Jr PS pollinator patch
- Phin Ave Parkette canoe garden
- The Balmy Beach Club pollinator patch
- Williamson Road Jr PS pollinator patch