We asked artists throughout the country to share their perspectives on climate change. Together, their responses paint a vivid, gripping call for climate justice now.
Click on each piece of art for information about the artist and their message.
Human well-being rests on our ability to harmonize with our environmentView the artwork
We must heal the damage that continues to be done in the name of capitalismView the artwork
Everywhere we look, we see the symptoms of a failing linear economic systemView the artwork
Download art posters
Download posters to paint your town with art for climate justice
During this make-it-or-break-it decade for climate change, you can help inspire action by postering your community with art for climate justice.
We turned each original artwork into a poster with a call to action for you to print and post in your community.
Our goal is to get 1000 volunteers from all provinces and territories to post three to 10 posters in their communities. Will you join us?
Meeting the challenge of the climate crisis will require more than laws and policies. It will require us to access the full potential of human imagination, to listen to and lift up diverse voices that can help get us to the heart of the climate movement.
The David Suzuki Foundation hosted a collaborative art project that brought together creative people from diverse communities and backgrounds.
Led by community arts facilitator Nadia Chaney, the artists participated in an online workshop where they worked together to hone their stories and create compelling art for climate justice.
This resulted in the artworks you see above. Together they portray the profound passions that drive climate ambition — what gives people hope, what terrifies them. Their pleas for action and justice are united, urgent and strong.
We hope you’ll spend time with these works of art and notice how you feel as you take them in. Then think about what you will do to help create the transformative change we need in this critical moment.
How you can act now
- Sign this petition to tell the federal government that climate action can’t wait
- Share this #ArtForClimateJustice on social media
- Put up Art for Climate Justice posters in your community. Simply download, print and post in public the art that resonates most with you.
What urgent and ambitious actions are we asking Canada to take?
Top climate scientists issued a “code red for humanity” recently, warning that this is our last chance to implement the transformational changes necessary to keep warming below 1.5 C and avoid the most dangerous impacts of climate chaos.
Canada’s climate targets are still critically insufficient. We are the only G7 country whose emissions have increased since the Paris Agreement was signed.
Canada must act with urgency and ambition. Specifically, we need the federal government to:
- Set an emissions reduction target of at least 60 per cent below 2005 levels by 2030 to be equitable and in line with climate science.
- Implement an ambitious and achievable plan to meet that target, based on intergenerational justice for Indigenous Peoples, workers and communities.
- Phase out all subsidies and public financing, and set an absolute cap on emissions from the oil and gas sector – Canada’s largest and fastest-growing source of carbon emissions – while committing to a clear timeline for a phase-out of all fossil fuel production in Canada.
- Introduce “just transition” legislation to support workers and communities in the necessary shift away from fossil fuels.
- Uphold Indigenous rights and title and implement the Truth and Reconciliation Commission’s calls to action and UNDRIP.
Bold climate action is possible when we work together. Send your message now.