On August 27, city council voted to support six “climate shifts” proposed by staff and declared a climate emergency.
Now the city will align its emissions targets to help keep warming below 1.5 C by:
- applying a carbon budget to municipal decision-making
- working toward zero-emissions transportation
- focusing on carbon-neutral buildings
- electrifying the grid
- creating a just and equitable energy transition
Your emails to councillors and the mayor, your attendance at council and the speeches you made to council were integral in helping Edmonton become a sustainable city with a healthy economy. Thank you.
We still have work to do, though. Here are three ways you can help:
- Ask federal political party leaders for similar bold action.
- Sign up for Charged Up. We will continue to organize in Edmonton to ensure the city takes on just and ambitious climate action initiatives.
- Email your MP and ask them to commit to supporting the recognition in law of the right to a healthy environment. Having that right will lead to a stable climate.