Implementation of Nature-Based Solutions in Canada: State of Play Report
David Suzuki Foundation and partners
The “State of Play Report” looks at examples of nature-based solutions projects in Canada with a goal of understanding:
- The types of nature-based solutions currently being used
- The ecosystem services (i.e., stormwater management, flood reduction, enjoyment of nature) addressed by nature-based solutions projects
- The inclusivity of decision-making processes where nature-based solutions are implemented
- The effectiveness of nature-based solutions projects
- The factors that enable or hinder nature-based solutions implementation and effectiveness
All levels of government are showing an expanded interest in using nature-based solutions as tools to combat the climate and biodiversity crises. With this increased interest comes a responsibility to reduce the risk of poorly designed or implemented projects.
The “State of Play Report” should help practitioners and advocates ensure nature-based solutions implementation maximizes economic, social and environmental benefits for all.